Stir the Cauldron Tarot Readings

I recently received a free tarot reading from another EntreCard blogger, Lady Rose, over at Stir the Cauldron.

Photobucket

Lady Rose and her blogging partner, Mama Kelly, are now offering a weekly tarot reading for bloggers who request one. Every Saturday evening they will select a question from the emails they receive, and one lucky blogger will be selected for a free tarot card reading.

There are many avenues in this world for all of us to find additional insight into our lives. We can study the bible, the talmud, kabbalah, astrology, runes, tea leaves or tarot. Studying these books and philosophies and disciplines are all ways to find meaning in life. Anything that helps an individual find comfort or understanding or insight and personal growth and happiness and peace is good.

There are many different religions and philosophies and ancient teachings on this planet. I think what connects us all as human beings is our desire to know and to understand. What I find fascinating are the varied mythologies and theologies that cultures all around the world--from the Ancient Greek Gods to Aboriginal and American Indian and Norse God mythologies--have created to find this meaning. And all these writings, including the apocryphal stories that accompany Judeo-Christian teachings, do tend to revolve around certain archetypes that Carl Jung has identified. And very closely related to the Carl Jung archetypes are the tarot cards.

Photobucket

Not too long ago, I actually dabbled in many of these. I believe in a Supreme Being. I follow one of the world's major religions. But I've also studied astrology, Chinese Astrology, Numerology, Tarot and Kabbalah all to find additional meaning; and at one time I even dabbled a little bit in Tarot. And because of my interest in Greek Mythology, the deck I used was the Mythic Tarot, which is pictured above, and is a really beautiful tarot deck.

I don't really read the tarot cards anymore, but I actually have computer software that does tarot and astrology readings for me. What's fascinating is that on any given day, the zodiac astrology readings and the tarot readings are often very similar. I don't think this is spooky at all. Tarot and Astrology are NOT fortune telling.

However, on any given day, each of us experiences certain feelings and certain energy. On any given day, we are influenced by the people and events in our lives. How we see these people and events is often a nebulous perception that we really can't put our fingers on. Daily or Weekly Tarot and Astrology Readings, however, are lenses by which we can use to focus our perceptions and our feelings, and therefore they are tools we can use to help us find insight into our lives and the lives of our friends and loved ones.

I believe in God. I have my own reasons for my belief--not the least of which is a story I recount in my Classic MTMD post ALASKA Day 4: In God's Country There Be Angels. And too many cultures separated by vast time and distances have independently developed theologies based around a Supreme Being with many similar characteristics that deep down at the very core of our being, if we are to be honest with ourselves if not completely scientific, there has to be a reason why. Perhaps this is a "proof" of God's existence. And perhaps, just maybe, Tarot, Astrology, Kaballah and the like are all instruments whereby we can focus in and tap into a higher or at least a different plane of understanding wherein God is alive, is present, and is speaking to us every day.

For more information on these subjects, please see the following Wikipedia articles on: Tarot, Astrology, Chinese Astrology, and Kaballah.

And for a really great read from a master of science fiction and magic realism, please check out Last Call by Tim Powers, which not only is one of the most creative and brilliant novels I've ever read, it's an awesome and sometimes heartbreaking story with an amazing triumph in the end. Tarot cards and all kinds of mysticism are used as storytelling devices; and the book is an education and a wonder and a powerful work with turn-the-page action, breathtaking descriptions, and many clearly-defined quirky and multi-dimensional characters.

Thanks for reading.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

9 comments:

tashabud said...

This is so interesting. You do have a wide-range of interest. Of all people, I would never have guessed that you're into anything mystical. You proved me wrong. I had to smile because it just so happened that I posted something about Tarot Card in my blog before I came to visit yours. I am disappointed, though, that you didn't tell us what your Tarot Card reading was.

BTW, I left you a reply to your comment about my DIGG question in your Digg post. I'm not sure if you've read it.

July 10, 2008 6:47 PM
tashabud said...

Sorry Matt. I should have checked your DIGG's post comment section before commenting here whether you read my message or not. Okay, expect to get a call from me sometime this coming Saturday if I still haven't yet resolved my problem with DIGG. Otherwise, I'll write you a message if it's resolved. Thanks for your willingness to help.

July 10, 2008 6:59 PM
Cynthia Rose said...

Thank you so much for the mention :)

You're views are very wise and I enjoyed your post very much.

Bright Blessings

July 10, 2008 7:45 PM
Henson Ray said...

What a great surprise. You failed to mention what your reading said though? Did it give you insight into the future of your book project?

July 11, 2008 7:36 AM
Matthew S. Urdan said...

Tasha--Never judge a book by its cover.

If you follow the first link in the post, you'll find my tarot card reading.

Lady Rose--thank you very much for your kind words, and thanks again for the reading.

Henson, I didn't ask about the book, but the first link in the post directs you to the tarot reading.

July 11, 2008 11:37 AM
Mariuca said...

Hi Matt, I love ur drop down blogroll, everything looks so neat. Hope I did not miss my surprise, nothing yet he he! ;)

July 11, 2008 1:37 PM
Anonymous said...

I had one as well. It is very interesting. Great post!

July 11, 2008 7:13 PM
Frugal New England Kitchen said...

Your post caught my eye. Am heading over there now. I might be a little leery about this.

I did a similar post on my Mama blog recently...

http://mamamentor.blogspot.com/2008/06/sixth-sense-intuition-it-happens-to-me.html

July 12, 2008 12:07 AM
Mariuca said...

It's Saturday here Matt, so have a great weekend! :)

July 12, 2008 1:33 AM

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting on this post! I appreciate my readers very much and value their feedback. Please leave your email address and URL so I can respond to you personally. Thanks and have an awesome day!

 
ss_blog_claim=ffdbcb688282b1bf14639c34170ec1fe