Yesterday Once More

Photobucket

Last night was one of those nights when the sun sets like a neon floodlight and memories from a similar sunset 19 years ago came back, and so, here is the poem written for the one whose memory that neon sun evokes.

Goodbye, My Friend

Yesterday
I watched that neon sun go down
as a jet flew through
electric red and purple rays
dancing
in between soft clouds
pushed and pulled by the wind.

And as I watched, I wondered:
what happens to a cloud
when it is torn asunder in the winds,
almost like a loaf of french bread
in a game of tug-o-war
with the white blur of fur
that snatched it from the dinner table.

Does the cloud die
and fade to nothingness,
never to be seen again,
or do memories remain
like scattered breadcrumbs on the floor
after the tug-o-war?

**********

I remember
sitting with her in the waiting room.
She would walk back and forth on the tiled floor,
lie down under my chair,
get up and walk back and forth again—
bumping into a table covered with magazines…

Come here, girl!
Shake.
Roll over.
Don’t die.

Please!

**********

It is night now.
The sun has gone
and I no longer see the clouds.
So I lament
like that old McCartney song
of life and love and loss.

When I see that neon sun again
I’ll remember
the game,
and the breadcrumbs too.
I’ll watch the wind
blowing the clouds around
and feel
my gentle rain.



Tomboy Buffy, Age: 1

Photobucket

Buffy, Age: 7. All groomed and lady-like

Photobucket


And for those of you who thought this post was going to be about a Carpenters song...


...how 'bout a rare live cover of the song by Olivia Newton-John?

Thanks for reading.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

9 comments:

Matt said...

Really cool post, Matt. I enjoyed it. And what a picture! How beautiful. Keep up the great work!!!

May 27, 2008 3:44 PM
Over The Top Aprons said...

Very nice blog; I enjoyed your daily trivia on the side bar.

May 27, 2008 5:32 PM
Shelia said...

That was just the sweetest post Matt. I nearly went to tears!

Thanks for sharing.

May 27, 2008 6:18 PM
Kath Lockett said...

I've always liked your blog Matthew and always vote for it (unless it's up against mine of course!). Admittedly the closest I've ever been to whitewater rafting is when I accidentally spill my coffee into the bath...

May 27, 2008 8:39 PM
Anonymous said...

That has got to be the most beautiful photo of a sunset I have ever seen. Lovely description, too!

i got your email about needing links. I am not quite sure how to get them all to you, lol! I'll be in contact about it soon. :)

May 27, 2008 10:25 PM
Tink said...

What a stunning picture!!! I love it.
Thanks for the YouTube clip. I'm a carpenters fan and i never heard of this cover. I'd still rather hear Karen, but Olivia does a good job.

May 28, 2008 3:19 AM
Mariuca said...

I love the beautiful sunset and I love the poem even more, but most of all I love the cute fluffy doggie!! :)

May 28, 2008 3:20 AM
Matthew S. Urdan said...

Thank you everyone for your comments!

The Mommy--you're the first one that's ever commented on the daily trivia. Thanks!

Sheila, Thanks! Buffy was an awesome dog. Your response alone made this post worthwhile.

Kath, thanks for the kind words, they're much appreciated. I usually vote for your blog as well. Nice *ss-kicking you handed me! You should try whitewater rafting...there are rivers and experiences out there for any kind of comfort level--not all whitewater is white-knuckled death-defying adventure.

Mrs. Mecomber, I agree, the photo is spectacular. Just email me at msurdan@aol.com.

Tink, Olivia and Karen were great friends, Olivia did a lot of covers in the 70s before Grease, and Karen used to sing a lot of her songs as well...all were rare, and usually only performed live.

Mariuca, thanks so much for the kind words. Buffy was our childhood dog. She was absolutely amazing.

Matt, thanks for the comments and encouragement....was feeling a little mushy yesterday. Time to get back to the dark and "manly" side with today's post.

Thanks again, everyone!

May 28, 2008 8:47 AM
Anonymous said...

OK, OK, don't I get any credit for the days when I dropped all four EntreCards here? You know I've had these hideous Comcastic Internet problems that cause my computer to freeze up every time I try to leave a comment, and sometimes work & family cause me to miss a few days of dropping, too...I am glad to hear that you have 25 other visitors who haven't missed a day! I think my Internet is basically back in business, so I'll be a regular from here on in!

This post made me so sad I couldn't comment the first time I read it...brought back all sorts of memories of Penny, the beagle-terrier mix I had from the summer after kindergarten until she died during the summer after my junior year of college.

I see you're waiting for your next Battle of the Blogs...will swing around and vote for you if I have time while the girls are watching their Wednesday night Disney movie...

Roxy

May 28, 2008 7:10 PM

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting on this post! I appreciate my readers very much and value their feedback. Please leave your email address and URL so I can respond to you personally. Thanks and have an awesome day!

 
ss_blog_claim=ffdbcb688282b1bf14639c34170ec1fe