Own a Piece of Bear Grylls

Photobucket

While I don't exactly have a man-crush on Bear Grylls, I do love his Discovery Channel show Man vs. Wild. And while we have since learned that the show is actually quite heavily staged, I don't think it diminishes in any way the entertainment value of the program or the incredible predicaments Bear illustrates and demonstrates on camera; such as tonight when the first new episode of this season airs at 9pm EDT. In this episode, Bear Grylls suffers heat stroke after consuming a live snake that defacates down his throat as he's eating it. The only issue, diarrhea ensues while he's attempting to climb a cliff and has to hang on with one hand while he tries to undo his pants. This is probably an episode that most ladies will definitely want to tune in for despite the grossness factor, and it should make for some very interesting television to say the least. The guy has no shame and you have to admire him for it.

Photobucket

But while I love watching Bear's exploits on television, I have to tell ya, getting stuck in those situations isn't exactly my cup of tea. But I really dig his clothing. As an outdoors guy, I'm always looking for gear that will hold up in all kinds of unexpected conditions, and I think I've found some that Bear Grylls happens to be wearing. In the photo above, Bear is wearing Craghopper's Nosquito Expedition Trousers. They have reinforced knees, lots of secure pockets including a hidden security pocket, it's coated with mosquito repelling chemicals and antibacterial agents that help keep the bugs from biting and the clothes from stinking. They're lightweight, ergonomic, water repellant and have a lifetime guarantee. And they're a little pricey at 50 pounds or about $100 US. My pair is on the way.

Photobucket

I wanted to try the clothing out for myself before committing so much money to them so I got the Nosquito Shorts, pictured above. The shorts are the best pair of travel/outdoor/hiking/camp shorts I've ever owned. They're super light-weight and comfortable, they fit perfectly, they have 8 very secure pockets, the Nosquito and anti-bacterial treatment, water repellent and they have a lifetime guarantee. They're also rip-resistent. Shortly after putting them on I thought I had snagged them on a sharp exposed tree branch. But after close examination, there's no indication of the encounter. The shorts are awesome and easy to care for, so I'm going to order another pair as well, 35 pounds or about $70.00.

Photobucket

Bear Grylls gets himself into all kinds of situations. Someone like him needs clothing he can absolutely depend on. I know that if the clothing Craghoppers has created for him can hold up to what Bear Grylls encounters in his television show, they will do just fine for my far less intense expeditions into the outdoors here in the United States. And they're most likely good to go for you as well.

Photobucket

Thanks Bear, you rock!
_______________________________________________

And from the world of sports, last night the Detroit Red Wings demolished the Colorado Avalanche 8-2 in the NHL Western Conference Semi-final. Bring on the San Jose Sharks or the Dallas Stars for the Western Conference Championship. Those in attendance in Denver wearing Red Wings sweaters were definitely chanting "Os-good, Os-good," all evening.

But even more significantly, Johan Franzen scored his second hat trick in 3 games versus the Avalanche, and with 9 goals for the series equaled by himself as many goals as the Avalanche scored in all 4 games; and Franzen also eclipsed a legend--scoring 9 goals in a series is a new Red Wings record, eclipsing the old record of 8 goals in a playoff series by none other than Gordie Howe.

Thanks for reading.

Technorati Tags:, , , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matt,

Thanks for the tasty eye candy, though I'm not sure I've got the stomach for the gross part of tonight's Bear show.

Have a great weekend as you get to it!

Roxy

May 02, 2008 11:11 AM
Anonymous said...

You & your eye candy got my vote in Battle of the Blogs...Hottie Bear should make it an easy win for you today.

Roxy

May 02, 2008 11:42 AM
Anonymous said...

Linus,

Voted4U again.

Ladies seem to like the eye candy...maybe you could do this more often!

Having great fun with the Red Hot Drops.

Dixie Mercedes -- it's got a ring to it

May 02, 2008 4:44 PM
fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

I saw him on Letterman last night...I've always admired this dude and wish I knew half as much as he does about survival.

Great post.

May 02, 2008 5:11 PM
Ken Armstrong said...

Don't know him but he looks like quite the dude! :)

His adventures with the snake eating begs the ago-old question:

Does the Bear S*** on the mountain?

:)

May 03, 2008 2:39 AM
Henson Ray said...

Great recap of the show...pretty gross to think a snake can deficate down your throat while you're eating it. Sort of like eating a pop rock, or that gum that explodes in your mouth when you chew it. I've never actually watched this show before. But after reading your description, I'm definitely going to tune in.

May 03, 2008 5:57 AM
Anonymous said...

Who's that half-naked guy who left the last comment? Gonna give him a click next.

Stopped by to vote for you in your Saturday morning Battle of the Blogs....come on over to my Roxiticus Desperate Housewives Battle. I'm promoting Matt Urdan's EntreCard Design Shop (and my Roxiticus Best Blogs) in our continued efforts to clean up the Blogosphere by banishing the orange stripey EntreCard forever.

Roxy

May 03, 2008 9:42 AM
Matthew S. Urdan said...

Rox, thanks for all the support!

Mushy, me too!

Ken, you crack me up. I'd probably have to answer in the absolute affirmative!

Henson, I think it's pretty gross just eating a snake. Last night on the show Bear ate some huge mother grubs, and when he was eating a big juicy one, all the guts spilled out in a string down his face and halfway down his chest. GROSS!

Definitely check out recaps and youtube and videos at Bear Grylls' Website. But the show airs on the Discovery Channel every Friday night at 9pm, and normally reruns quite often throughout the week.

Rox, I wouldn't exactly say that Henson Ray is the half-naked guy you refer to cause it's a pic of just his head, but his blog is f*cking hilarious. I found him through EntreCard, I've favorited him, and I make it a point to read his stuff every day. Definitely a blog to keep an eye on if you enjoy using your facial muscles to contort your skin into a grin.

Cheers all, and thanks for commenting!

May 03, 2008 11:40 AM
Anonymous said...

i love watching Man Vs. Wild, too! love that cool yellow jacket he's wearing! :)

dropping by through EC ...

May 03, 2008 1:13 PM
Anonymous said...

And here I though you were so pure!I hope you signed up for PPP through one of my referral banners, young man.

It will take them about a week, max, to approve your blog...I think when Customer Love is hard at work during the business week, it could be less than 24 hours.

You should be sure to sign up for SocialSpark, too...IZEA runs both PPP and SocialSpark. Again, please use the referral link in my slow-loading sidebar! On SocialSpark, you can set up your profile right away and add your blog, then Customer Love will verify you and you can start paid posting.

Enjoy!
Roxy

May 03, 2008 2:52 PM
Anonymous said...

I love Bear, he makes me all warm and fuzzy...

Mommie

May 03, 2008 10:10 PM

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting on this post! I appreciate my readers very much and value their feedback. Please leave your email address and URL so I can respond to you personally. Thanks and have an awesome day!

 
ss_blog_claim=ffdbcb688282b1bf14639c34170ec1fe