DEDICATION FRIDAY: A NEW MEME

Pick a song, any song, and dedicate it to the one you love...or hate, or despise or admire, or anything at all. Just dedicate a song, give a reason why, publish the song lyrics if you want, and join the autoscript. If you'd like to be included in the Dedication Friday Blogroll, just post a comment on MTMD and I'll add you. Thanks and have fun!



The song I'm dedicating today is "Soldiers" by ABBA. This song was written in 1981 in reference to the real fear of the Cold War escalating into a major world conflict. That scenario did not come to pass, and yet 25 years later, it seems we're still on the brink.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

To the leaders of the world and to the US soldiers serving in Iraq, Soldiers is dedicated to you.

Soldiers

Do I hear what I think I’m hearing
do I see the signs I think I see
or is this just fantasy
is it true that the beast is waking
stirring in his restless sleep tonight
in the pale moonlight
in the grip of this cold December
you and I have reason to remember

Soldiers write the songs
that soldiers sing
the songs that you and I don’t sing
they blow their horns
and march along
they drum their drums
and look so strong
you’d think that nothing
in the world was wrong
soldiers write the songs
that soldiers sing
the songs that you and I won’t sing
let’s not look the other way
taking a chance
’cause if the bugler starts to play
we too must dance

What’s that sound
what’s that dreadful rumble
won’t somebody tell me what I hear
in the distance but drawing near
is it only a storm approaching
all that thunder and the blinding light
in the winter night
in the grip of this cold December
you and I have reason to remember

Soldiers write the songs
that soldiers sing
the songs that you and I don’t sing
they blow their horns
and march along
they drum their drums
and look so strong
you’d think that nothing
in the world was wrong
soldiers write the songs
that soldiers sing
the songs that you and I won’t sing
let’s not look the other way
taking a chance
’cause if the bugler starts to play
we too must dance

© Copyright 1981 for the world by Universal/Union Songs AB, Stockholm, Sweden. All rights reserved.

Thanks for reading.

7 comments:

utenzi said...

Since I saw Barry Manilow on the Today Show this morning, I'll dedicate his Weekend in New England to my girlfriend.

May 12, 2006 9:32 AM
Michele said...

Since mother's day is sunday,
i dedicate the intruders
(I'll aways love my mama)

May 12, 2006 11:39 AM
Anonymous said...

Clever idea.

However there are almost no dog-oriented songs. "Hound dog" and "Hard Day's Night" come to mind, but neither is the image of dogdom that The Poodle (and dog) blog tries to project. :>)

May 12, 2006 12:02 PM
Anonymous said...

My dedication is already on my sidebar, but I'll do another next week and so-forth.

Great idea!

May 12, 2006 12:09 PM
Anonymous said...

This will make a great post for my new blog. Please add me to your blogroll for this. Thanks

May 12, 2006 3:30 PM
Galli Galli Sim Sim said...

I dedicate, "Happy" by the Stones, to the ultimate Stone himself, Keith Richards, who fell out of a coconut tree and had hole drilled in his melon. Get well Keith the tour must go on!
g

May 12, 2006 6:43 PM
Mr. Guesa said...

These things confuse me...

May 15, 2006 2:35 PM

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for commenting on this post! I appreciate my readers very much and value their feedback. Please leave your email address and URL so I can respond to you personally. Thanks and have an awesome day!

 
ss_blog_claim=ffdbcb688282b1bf14639c34170ec1fe